Kids of all ages are sure to like this fun vegetarian spin on pizza! The recipe comes from Carol Mieske of Red Bluff, California. "You can't even tell there's zucchini in this dish," she notes. "If you have meat eaters in your family, try adding turkey pepperoni or sausage."
Recommended: Our Most-Loved Recipes for Zucchini
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3-1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive or canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Place zucchini in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand for 15 minutes. Rinse and drain well. In a bowl, combine the zucchini, egg substitute, bread crumbs, flour and Italian seasoning. Spread in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes.
- In a nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms in oil. Spread half of the pizza sauce over zucchini mixture; sprinkle with the mushrooms, green pepper, olives and half of the cheese. Top with remaining pizza sauce and cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer or until hot and bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Italian Zucchini Bake in Light & Tasty April/May 2003, p55