Italian Wedding Minestrone
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 50 min.
Makes12 servings (5 quarts)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 small head cabbage, shredded
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, torn
- 2 cups cooked ditalini or other small pasta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a stockpot, saute the onion, celery and carrots in oil until tender. Add the cabbage, potatoes and green beans; cook and stir 5 minutes longer. Add the water, tomatoes, bouillon and salt; bring to a boil. Carefully add meatballs. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender and meatballs are heated through.
- Stir in the beans, spinach and pasta; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 271 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 1222mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Minestrone in 2010 Taste of Home Annual Recipes
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.