Italian Veggie Salad
I created this salad when I needed a crowd-pleaser for an event at a community charity drive and it was a huge success. I have been asked repeatedly for the recipe and asked to please make this at least six events this year. This salad keeps very well if you keep it refrigerated.—
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 2 cups fresh baby carrots, quartered lengthwise
- 1-3/4 cups thinly sliced radishes
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 small head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 6 large fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 package Italian salad dressing mix
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 package (9 ounces) hearts of romaine salad mix
- Pepperoncini, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing mix, water, vinegar and oil. Pour over vegetables; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Just before serving, place romaine in a large serving bowl. Add vegetables; toss to coat. Top with pepperoncini if desired.
Editor's NoteLook for pepperoncini (pickled peppers) in the pickle and olive section of your grocery store.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 75 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Italian Veggie Salad in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.