- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook ground beef and onions over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
Add cabbage, mixed vegetables, tomatoes, seasonings and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender. Remove bay leaf.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 12 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews forItalian Veggie Beef Soup
"Great basic recipe! Make flavors pop by adding garlic and other seasonings of your choice!"
"Very good tasting. Didn't take long to put together."
"This recipe was tasty and easy. I made a few changes for my family's tastes and what we had on hand. I only used 1 pound of beef, chicken broth instead of beef beef broth, and doubled the black pepper. This was a great way to use up half of a cabbage that I had in the fridge. While it tasted very good, I don't think I would go out of my way to make this recipe again, but I would certainly make it if I had the ingredients on hand."