Italian Vegetable Hot Dish
This dish became a favorite in our home for two reasons: everyone, including our children, loves the Italian flavor...plus, it's a great way to get kids to eat their vegetables without complaining!—Judy Wulf, Hancocok, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min.
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 package (1-1/2 ounces) spaghetti sauce mix
- 4 cups sliced cooked carrots
- 4 cups cut cooked green beans
- 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- For crust, combine flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add ice water; mix until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half. Roll out one piece into a 13x9-in. rectangle; place in a 13x9-in. baking dish. Repeat with remaining piece of dough; set aside.
- For filling, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, salt and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the soup, spaghetti sauce mix, carrots and green beans. Spoon into crust. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover with remaining dough. Bake at 350° for 80-90 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.