Italian Vegetable Hot Dish
This dish became a favorite in our home for two reasons: everyone, including our children, loves the Italian flavor...plus, it's a great way to get kids to eat their vegetables without complaining!—Judy Wulf, Hancocok, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min.
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 package (1-1/2 ounces) spaghetti sauce mix
- 4 cups sliced cooked carrots
- 4 cups cut cooked green beans
- 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- For crust, combine flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add ice water; mix until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half. Roll out one piece into a 13x9-in. rectangle; place in a 13x9-in. baking dish. Repeat with remaining piece of dough; set aside.
- For filling, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, salt and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the soup, spaghetti sauce mix, carrots and green beans. Spoon into crust. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover with remaining dough. Bake at 350° for 80-90 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 457 calories, 25g fat (15g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 1290mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Italian Vegetable Hot Dish in Country Ground Beef
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips