Italian Vegetable Bowl
I love to fix this hamburger vegetable stew on chilly fall and winter days. The tasty variety of ingredients and seasonings ensures this combination is a crowd-pleaser.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup cooked elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle over medium heat, cook beef until no longer pink; drain. Add the next 12 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender. Add cabbage, macaroni and parsley. Cook 20 minutes longer or until cabbage is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 164 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 716mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Italian Vegetable Bowl in 2000 Taste of Home Annual Recipes
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.