Italian Vegetable Beef Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup frozen or fresh green beans, cut in 1-inch pieces, optional
- 1/2 cup small elbow macaroni
- Parmesan cheese
- Brown beef in large heavy kettle; drain. Add all the ingredients except cabbage, green beans and macaroni. Bring to boil. Lower heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add cabbage, green beans and macaroni; bring to a boil and simmer until vegetables are tender. If you prefer a thinner soup, add additional water or broth. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 152 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 776mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 12g protein.
Nov 11, 2017
I've been making this soup for years. It has become a family favorite. I've taken it to many church suppers and always receive compliments and recipe requests.
May 9, 2016
Best vegetable soup recipe I've found! This will be a regular on our menu.
Jan 17, 2016
Love this soup! I've been making it for my family and friends since the original publication in Country Woman back in 1989! A favorite go-to soup recipe.
Dec 18, 2013
We enjoyed this---easy, tasty and nourishing.
Jan 17, 2013
Easily a family favorite and hearty enough to be the main dish. I use black beans instead of kidney beans and leave out the macaroni. I also use french cut green beans.
Dec 8, 2012
Excellent! My entire family loved it, even my picky 8 year old!
Jan 31, 2010
This recipe is wonderful and easy! I omitted the kidney beans (my family isn't a big fan of kindey beans) and added prepared cheese tortellini on one occasion. Either way, it's delicious!
Apr 13, 2009
I've made this many times - its a delicious soup that family and friends have enjoyed.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.