Italian Turkey Sandwich Loaf
One wedge of this sandwich goes a long way. Each bite is packed with turkey, cheese and vegetables.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 1/4 cup Italian salad dressing
- 12 fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli turkey
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced peeled cucumber
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- Cut a 1-in. slice off top of bread and set aside. Carefully hollow out loaf, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (save removed bread for another use). Brush inside of bread with salad dressing.
- In the bread shell, layer the spinach, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, turkey, cucumber, tomato and remaining cheese. Replace bread top; wrap loaf in foil.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 338 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 1111mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Mozzarella Turkey Loaf in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2007
Nov 14, 2014
I love this recipe. My mom used to make it for us when we were growing up. It is so easy and tasty. This is perfect for a quick dinner too. I made this for my husband for lunch with some sweet potato fries and he loved it!