Italian Tomato Tart
Give Christmas brunch a taste of Italy with this hearty deep-dish tart. Baked in a pastry crust, the fresh-tasting pie features plenty of Italian sausage, cheese, garlic and basil.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + standing
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeded and cut into wedges
- 3/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with pastry. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Remove to a wire rack; sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Reduce heat to 375°.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Spoon sausage mixture into shell.
- Arrange tomatoes over sausage mixture. In a small bowl, combine the basil, mayonnaise, Parmigiano-Reggiano, parsley, pepper and remaining mozzarella cheese; spoon over tomatoes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 396 calories, 30g fat (10g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 582mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Fresh Tomato Tart in Country Woman Christmas 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.