Give Christmas brunch a taste of Italy with this hearty deep-dish tart. Baked in a pastry crust, the fresh-tasting pie features plenty of Italian sausage, cheese, garlic and basil.
Recommended: 19 Recipes for Homemade Salad Dressing
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeded and cut into wedges
- 3/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with pastry. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Remove to a wire rack; sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Reduce heat to 375°.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Spoon sausage mixture into shell.
- Arrange tomatoes over sausage mixture. In a small bowl, combine the basil, mayonnaise, Parmigiano-Reggiano, parsley, pepper and remaining mozzarella cheese; spoon over tomatoes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Italian Tomato Tart in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2009, p32