Italian Tomato Salad
When you're sharing your bumper crop of tomatoes with friends and family, be sure to send along a copy of this extra-easy recipe. The light oil-and-vinegar dressing and subtle seasonings let the wonderful flavors of just-picked tomatoes and crisp cucumbers come through.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 medium cucumber, sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cider or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Layer tomatoes, cucumber and onion in a large salad bowl. Combine oil, vinegar, basil, salt and pepper; drizzle over vegetables. Cover and refrigerate; until ready to serve.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 150 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Italian Tomato Salad in 1997 Taste of Home Calendar