Italian Tomato Salad
When you're sharing your bumper crop of tomatoes with friends and family, be sure to send along a copy of this extra-easy recipe. The light oil-and-vinegar dressing and subtle seasonings let the wonderful flavors of just-picked tomatoes and crisp cucumbers come through.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 medium cucumber, sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cider or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Layer tomatoes, cucumber and onion in a large salad bowl. Combine oil, vinegar, basil, salt and pepper; drizzle over vegetables. Cover and refrigerate; until ready to serve.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 150 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Italian Tomato Salad in 1997 Taste of Home Calendar
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.