Italian Tomato Rolls
Margaret Peterson FOREST CITY, IOWA No one believes me when I say it’s pizza sauce that they’re tasting in these tender, chewy rolls. The basil adds extra excitement.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the pizza sauce, 1/4 cup butter, egg, salt, basil, 2 cups flour and remaining sugar; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 15 pieces. Shape each into a 2-in. ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with remaining butter.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 150 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Italian Tomato Rolls in Country Extra September 2008