Italian Tomato Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons each minced fresh basil, oregano and rosemary
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 4 large plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Dash pepper
- In a large skillet, saute onions in oil until lightly browned; sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms until tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer onions into pastry shell; sprinkle with herbs and cheese.
- Top with mushrooms; sprinkle with olives. Arrange tomato slices over top; sprinkle with pepper.
- Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 256 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 600mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 19, 2015
The whole idea of the tomato pie is great, but the mozzerlla cheese ruined it. I'm going turn the recipe into a frittata the next time I make it. Will follow the recipe & use beatten eggs, half & half & Italian shredded cheese instead of the mozzerlla.
Sep 7, 2011
An Awesome dish!! I would recommend doubling the cheese, dividing it proportionally, adding a little Cheyenne (I did this as i mixed all of the herbs and spices together before sprinkling on the layers). Also, I would suggest 1/2-1/3 cup flour sprinkled over the tomatoes. I found that this helped the pie from becoming "soupy." An Excellent Dish!!! I have made Four times. and will Keep making For Sure!!!!