Italian Tomato Onion Quiche
This pretty quiche is best fresh out of the oven when the cheese is wonderfully gooey," says Sherri Crews of Vilano Beach, Florida. "I especially enjoy it in summer with vine-ripe tomatoes and fresh basil."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 6 medium fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup sliced sweet onion
- 3 medium plum tomatoes, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in oil until tender; set aside. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- Layer half of the mozzarella cheese, onion and tomato in pastry. Top with mushrooms. Layer with remaining mozzarella cheese, onion and tomato. Sprinkle with half of the Parmesan cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, cream, mustard and herbs; pour over top. Top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover edges with foil during the last 20 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.