Italian Tomato Bread
With tomato juice and Parmesan cheese, this bread tastes like a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich. I often top slices without favorite pizza toppings for a unique snack.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm tomato juice (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6-3/4 to 7-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the tomato juice, ketchup, Parmesan cheese, sugar, butter, salt, basil, oregano and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.