Italian Supper Sandwich
This baked sandwich is so good—and the bonus is you can make the meatballs and sauce ahead. Try it for a Super Bowl party or other get-together. —Patricia Cornell, Burlington, Kentucky
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/16 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until slightly thickened.
- Cut top third off of bread but not all the way through; hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell. Spread with butter.
- Add meatballs to sauce; heat through. With a slotted spoon, transfer meatballs into the loaf. Sprinkle with cheese; replace bread top. Wrap loaves in foil. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Warm remaining sauce; serve with sandwiches.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 462 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 1407mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Italian Supper Sandwich in 2010 Taste of Home Annual Recipes