Olive lovers are sure to rejoice over this stacked sandwich! Delores Christner from Spooner, Wisconsin marinates stuffed and ripe olives in white wine vinegar and garlic before using them to flavor these speedy salami, ham and provolone subs.
Recommended: 50 Dinners for Serious Bread Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped stuffed olives
- 6 submarine sandwich buns (10 inches), split
- 24 thin slices hard salami
- 24 slices provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 24 slices fully cooked ham
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- In a bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, parsley and garlic. Stir in olives. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Place about 2 tablespoons olive mixture on the bottom of each bun. Top each with four slices of salami, cheese and ham; add lettuce if desired. Replace tops. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Italian Subs in Quick Cooking January/February 2002, p17