Italian Sub Sandwiches
I serve these sandwiches for a special party treat. The red and green peppers add color along with flavor.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds Italian sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 medium green peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 submarine sandwich buns (about 10 inches), split
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat just until no longer pink; drain. Add the onions, peppers and garlic. Cover and cook for 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and oregano. Cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until tomatoes are cooked. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, hollow out bottom of each roll, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.) Toast rolls. Fill with sausage mixture. Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Originally published as Italian Sub Sandwiches in Country June/July 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.