Italian-Style Turkey with Polenta
This recipe is very easy to prepare, and is made even easier when it simmers in a slow cooker. The turkey comes out tender and the veggies add a mix of color and heartiness.—Gilda Lester, Milsboro, Delaware
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 4 turkey thighs (about 3 pounds), skin removed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 small fennel bulb, chopped, fronds reserved
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tubes (18 ounces each) polenta, each cut into 5 slices
- Sprinkle turkey thighs with salt and pepper. In a 6-qt stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Brown thighs on all sides in batches. Remove from pan. In same pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, fennel and mushrooms; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, tomato paste and Italian seasoning; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan; stir in tomatoes.
- Transfer turkey and vegetable mixture to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 4-6 hours or until meat is tender. Remove turkey from slow cooker. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Keep meat warm.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Brush polenta slices with remaining olive oil. Place slices 1/2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 30-40 minutes or until golden brown, turning halfway though baking. Meanwhile, mince reserved fennel fronds. To serve, top polenta with turkey and sauce; sprinkle with minced fennel.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 622 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 324mg cholesterol, 1085mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 83g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Turkey Osso Buco with Polenta Crisps in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2016