Italian-Style Round Steak
My family loves this Swiss steak with an Italian touch. It's true comfort food that will appeal to your family as well. —Sharon Farnsworth, Longmont, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours 5 min.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds boneless beef round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 package (7 ounces) spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in batches in oil; drain. Add water and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, mushrooms, onion, green pepper, sugar, oregano and basil. Cover and simmer 30-45 minutes longer or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Serve over spaghetti. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.