VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, halved and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound small red potatoes, quartered
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 325°. Pat roast dry with a paper towel; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Brown roast on all sides. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium heat; saute onions and pepper until tender, 4-6 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan; stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Add roast and remaining vegetables; bring to a boil.
Transfer to oven; bake, covered, until meat is fork-tender, 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 hours.
Freeze option: Place sliced pot roast and vegetables in freezer containers; top with sauce. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Italian-Style Pot Roast in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2017, p109