Italian-Style Onion Soup
On a chilly winter’s day, warm everyone from head to toe with a steaming pot of this veggie soup. Each bowlful is crowned with a slice of cheesy, tomato-topped toast. —Debbie Miller, Oldsmar, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional beef broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 slices day-old French bread (1-1/2 inches thick), toasted
- 5 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter with the oil. Add the onions, rosemary, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cook for 30 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add the broth, wine and vinegar; heat through.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, basil, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and remaining salt and pepper. Spoon tomato mixture over bread slices; top with mozzarella. Place on a baking sheet.
- Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Ladle soup into bowls; top with toast. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 349 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 1579mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.