On a chilly winter’s day, warm everyone from head to toe with a steaming pot of this veggie soup. Each bowlful is crowned with a slice of cheesy, tomato-topped toast. —Debbie Miller, Oldsmar, Florida
Recommended: Super Simple 5-Ingredient Soup Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional beef broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 slices day-old French bread (1-1/2 inches thick), toasted
- 5 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter with the oil. Add the onions, rosemary, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cook for 30 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add the broth, wine and vinegar; heat through.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, basil, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and remaining salt and pepper. Spoon tomato mixture over bread slices; top with mozzarella. Place on a baking sheet.
- Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Ladle soup into bowls; top with toast. Serve immediately. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Italian-Style Onion Soup in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2011, p49