Italian Style Meat Roll
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + standing
- 1 slice bread, cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 package (2-1/2 ounces) sliced dried beef
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Process bread in a blender or food processor until fine crumbs form; transfer to a bowl. In same blender, combine the egg, water, onion, celery, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; cover and process until smooth. Stir into the bread crumbs. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- On a 16x12-in. piece of waxed paper, shape meat mixture into an 11x8-in. rectangle. Top with the dried beef and cheese to within 1/2 in. of edge. Roll up jelly-roll style,starting with a short side; pinch to seal edges.
- Place seam side down in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 270 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 29g protein.
Jan 26, 2012
This was fantastic, though I did make some small changes. I replaced half of the water with worcestershire sauce, the mozzarella with an Italian blend cheese, and added some garlic. It was a big hit.
Feb 3, 2011
This was really good except that I used bacon in place of the ham. It was fantastic.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.