Tender duck breasts are smothered in a thick tomato sauce and melted mozzarella and cheddar cheeses in this delicious dish from Edna Watts of Arley, Alabama. With pasta on the side, this attractive entree is special enough to serve when company comes.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1 envelope spaghetti sauce mix
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons onion salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 8 boneless skinless duck breast halves
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup parsley and spaghetti sauce mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a shallow dish, combine the flour, onion salt and garlic salt. Add duck, a few pieces at a time, and turn to coat. In a large skillet, brown duck on both sides in remaining butter.
- Place in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with tomato mixture; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 28-32 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium, a thermometer should read 165°; well-done 175°). Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Serve with pasta.