Tender duck breasts are smothered in a thick tomato sauce and melted mozzarella and cheddar cheeses in this delicious dish from Edna Watts of Arley, Alabama. With pasta on the side, this attractive entree is special enough to serve when company comes.
Recommended: Slow Cooker Recipes from Around the World
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1 envelope spaghetti sauce mix
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons onion salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 8 boneless skinless duck breast halves
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a saucepan, saute onion and mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup parsley and spaghetti sauce mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a shallow dish, combine the flour, onion salt and garlic salt; coat duck pieces. In a large skillet, brown duck on both sides in remaining butter. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with tomato mixture; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 28-32 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Serve with pasta. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Italian-Style Duck in Taste of Home August/September 2003, p58
Reviews forItalian-Style Duck
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 9, 2008
"This sounds good! Thanks for sharing."