- 2 cups meatless pasta sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place pasta sauce in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave, covered, on high for 3-4 minutes or until hot, stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add green pepper; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in cream cheese.
- Arrange chicken in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spoon pepper mixture onto chicken. Pour warmed sauce over top. Place cheese over sauce. Bake, covered, 25-30 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forItalian-Style Chicken & Peppers
"The mozzarella cheese was black and crusted after 25 minutes. Husband said to throw the recipe away and I agree."
"Real easy to make and tasty. Just what the submitter said it would be. It was a tad longer than 30 min if you allow for prep time. Will be making this again!"
"easy to make and turned out to be very yummy! We used our homemade tomato sauce and it kicked everything up to the next level. I weill be making this again!"
"We enjoyed this. The chicken breasts I used were too thick so I had to bake them longer. Next time will cut them in half. Recommend adding the cheese after the first 10 minutes of baking time. I added garlic & Italian seasoning (in addition to that which is in the sauce) and mushrooms. Yummy. I might try ricotta instead of cream cheese."
"Delicious recipe! Since I had just made a batch of homemade spaghetti sauce and had an abundance of green peppers from our garden, this recipe appeared at the perfect time for me. I doubled the recipe since I had really large chicken breasts that I cut in half to make thinner portions. I really liked that it was diabetic friendly for my husband, too!"
"I happened to have these 5 ingredients and was in the mood to try something a little different, so I gave this recipe a shot. It didn't disappoint. Good flavor, very easy."
"I didn't change anything except added a sprinkle of granulated garlic to chicken. This was very easy and very moist. I baked it 30 minutes and my cheese was slightly more done than I would have wanted, so I would either add it later in the cooking time or check after 25 minutes. This reminded me a lot of my salsa chicken recipe except with Italian flavors instead of Mexican flavors."