- 6 large green or sweet red peppers
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups cubed part-skim mozzarella cheese (1/4-inch cubes)
- 1 cup uncooked converted rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Additional minced fresh parsley
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the beef, mozzarella cheese, rice, onion, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper; spoon into peppers. Transfer to an oval 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Pour tomatoes over peppers; pour broth around the sides.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until a thermometer reaches 160° and peppers are tender. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and additional parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forItalian Stuffed Peppers
"Wonderful recipe! I've made this several times with great results. I substitute shredded mozzarella for ease and only used 6 oz to cut back on calories (and barely dusted the peppers with parmesan). Definitely cook for 6 hours or more to make sure the beef and rice are cooked - the peppers will still be yummy."
"very easy and good"
"I found this to be a great recipe for the slow cooker. I let it cook for almost 6 hours on low because I was not home but the meat cooked thoroughly and the rice was tender. The mozzarella cheese was a tasty addition. I will make it for the family again. A crock pot disposable liner made clean-up a breeze."
"I did not have good luck with this recipe. I halved it and cooked on low for 3-4 hours. The meat thermometer said 160 so I removed the peppers. The peppers were cooked to perfection, the rice was crunchy, and the meat was still slightly pink (but not what I would call unsafe). My husband tried to eat it but threw about half away. I did the same."