- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3-1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large sweet red peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic bulb. Brush with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Wrap bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Reduce heat to 400°. Cool garlic for 10 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a bowl and mash.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute squash in 1 tablespoon oil until golden brown; transfer to a large bowl. In the same skillet, saute peppers and onion in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add to squash.
- Stir in the tomatoes, garlic, bread crumbs, parsley, rosemary, salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until squash is tender. Yield: 14 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews forItalian Squash Casserole
"Absolutely delicious. A bit time consuming to roast the garlic, may try minced garlic next time. I used about a tablespoon of fresh rosemary."