Italian Spinach Sausage Pie
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 6 large eggs
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie (10 inches)
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Separate one egg and set the yolk aside.
- In a bowl, beat the egg white and remaining eggs. Add spinach, mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, salt, garlic powder, pepper and sausage; mix well.
- Line a 10-in. pie plate with bottom pastry. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- If desired, cut out holly leaf and berry shapes from pastry scraps; place on top crust. Beat water and remaining egg yolk; brush over top.
- Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 692 calories, 50g fat (22g saturated fat), 266mg cholesterol, 1072mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 6, 2014
A hit . Easy to make,
Jan 22, 2014
Spinach is one of my own favorite vegetables, so I know for sure this will be good! Looks quite easy to make also. Thank you for sharing!!
Dec 13, 2013
This is a great pie and easy to assemble. I added fresh, chopped garlic and red bell pepper to mine. I will be making this again soon!
Nov 20, 2013
I made this as written, except that I used only 2 c. mozzarella. The filling was plentiful and the taste was delicious. I like that this single dish provides both protein, calcium, and green veggies! Most of my children liked it, once they tried it. Let it cool at LEAST 10 minutes, preferably a bit more, I think, to prevent wateriness.
Mar 17, 2013
I have no idea if I would make again; but since njgigi rated without trying I guess I can too! I am VERY tried of comments being made from folks who do not like one thing or the other -- make with your changes and THEN rank -- keep your negative comments to yourself! Sorry for ranting but too much for one day!
Nov 1, 2012
This sounds very delicious. I make one similar to this with Italian sausage. The sodium amount in this is almost unbelievable. I would have to lower this number before I would even attempt this.