Italian Spinach Sausage Pie
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 6 large eggs
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie (10 inches)
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Separate one egg and set the yolk aside.
- In a bowl, beat the egg white and remaining eggs. Add spinach, mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, salt, garlic powder, pepper and sausage; mix well.
- Line a 10-in. pie plate with bottom pastry. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- If desired, cut out holly leaf and berry shapes from pastry scraps; place on top crust. Beat water and remaining egg yolk; brush over top.
- Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Feb 6, 2014
A hit . Easy to make,
Jan 22, 2014
Spinach is one of my own favorite vegetables, so I know for sure this will be good! Looks quite easy to make also. Thank you for sharing!!
Dec 13, 2013
This is a great pie and easy to assemble. I added fresh, chopped garlic and red bell pepper to mine. I will be making this again soon!
Nov 20, 2013
I made this as written, except that I used only 2 c. mozzarella. The filling was plentiful and the taste was delicious. I like that this single dish provides both protein, calcium, and green veggies! Most of my children liked it, once they tried it. Let it cool at LEAST 10 minutes, preferably a bit more, I think, to prevent wateriness.
Mar 17, 2013
I have no idea if I would make again; but since njgigi rated without trying I guess I can too! I am VERY tried of comments being made from folks who do not like one thing or the other -- make with your changes and THEN rank -- keep your negative comments to yourself! Sorry for ranting but too much for one day!
Nov 1, 2012
This sounds very delicious. I make one similar to this with Italian sausage. The sodium amount in this is almost unbelievable. I would have to lower this number before I would even attempt this.