Italian Spaghetti and Meatballs for Two
This dish was so popular at our church's potluck functions that I asked for the recipe. It has become a favorite at family gatherings.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped celery leaves
- 2-1/2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 slice sandwich bread, toasted and crumbled
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cooked vermicelli
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, celery leaves and cheese. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil in batches; drain.
- In a small saucepan, combine the tomatoes, tomato paste, bread, garlic, sugar, pepper and salt; add meatballs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink and sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Serve with vermicelli; sprinkle with additional cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 495 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 599mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 6g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Italian Spaghetti and Meatballs in Reminisce Extra January 2011