Italian Smothered Pork Chops
My brother and I come from an Italian family, and we designed these pork chops to include Italian staples like fresh mozzarella, sweet red peppers and broccoli rabe. —Shana Lewis, Totowa, New Jersey
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound broccoli rabe
- 4 boneless pork loin chops (3/4 inch thick and 6 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup sliced roasted sweet red pepper
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Preheat broiler. Trim 1/2 in. off ends of broccoli rabe; discard any coarse leaves.
- In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add broccoli rabe; cook, uncovered, 4-5 minutes or just until crisp-tender. Remove and immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- Sprinkle pork chops with seasonings. In a broiler-safe skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add pork chops; cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 145°. Remove from heat.
- Layer chops with red pepper, broccoli rabe and cheese. Broil 4 in. from heat 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 365 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 808mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 40g protein.
Originally published as Christmas Porkchops in Simple & Delicious August/September 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.