- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 can (14 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- Sour cream, optional
- Place the sweet potatoes, kale, onion and garlic in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Place roast on vegetables. Add the beans and seasonings. Pour broth over top. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 8-10 hours.
- Remove meat; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork with two forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. If desired, garnish with sour cream. Yield: 9 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forItalian Shredded Pork Stew
"Made this last week and it was delicious ! Only thing I didn't put in was the kale and I used great northern beans."
"Sad to say, made according to directions we found this bland or ordinary. I added more garlic, a shake of red pepper flakes, onion powder, another 1/2 tsp of salt and it was more palatable."
"This smelled so good we could hardly wait to dig into it! I took some to a homebound lady who ate two bowls right away and saved another bowl for later!! I seldom bring her something that really "hits her spot" so this was a thrill for me!!"
"What a unique taste this stew has. It's the sweet potatoes. It was wonderful. I did not have Kale so used a box of Green Giant frozen creamed spinich. I also threw in some lentils I had in the frig. It was an awesome stew and will make it again."