Italian Sesame Seed Cookies
These golden cookies, recommended by Joan Humphreys of Ellicott City, Maryland, are light inside, chewy outside and really showcase the flavor of sesame.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 5-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 5 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Brush with milk; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 165 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 142mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.