Italian Sesame Seed Cookies
These golden cookies, recommended by Joan Humphreys of Ellicott City, Maryland, are light inside, chewy outside and really showcase the flavor of sesame.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 5-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 5 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Brush with milk; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 165 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 142mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Sesame Seed Cookies in Taste of Home December/January 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.