Italian Sausages with Provolone Recipe
- 10 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 each small sweet red, yellow and orange peppers, cut into strips
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 2 cups Italian salad dressing
- 10 slices provolone cheese
- 10 brat buns, split
- 1. In a large skillet, brown sausages in batches in oil. Drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the peppers, onions and salad dressing. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until a thermometer reads 160° and vegetables are tender.
- 2. Place sausages and cheese in buns; using a slotted spoon, top with pepper mixture. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving: 543 calories, 31g fat (10g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 1267mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Reviews for Italian Sausages with Provolone
"These were very tasty and tender! I used mild and hot Italian sausage links (combo), and made Italian salad dressing using the box mix. I didn't saute the onions and peppers in with the sausage because I knew my crock pot would take care of that... and it did. The onions and peppers were nearly mush after 3 hours on low. Next time, I'll throw them in after an hour and a half so they're more firm. I put the provolone cheese on the buns and placed it under the broiler for a couple minutes to toast the bun and melt the cheese. I'm glad I toasted the bun because it got pretty soggy after putting the sausage in (it would have been a big mess if I hadn't toasted first!). I'm not going to use the leftover sausages and make grilled flatbread pizzas. This is such an easy, delicious recipe, I'll be making it again."
"Wow, these were soooo good! I used turkey Italian sausage and a light zesty Italian dressing. When I was browning, the sausages, I also sauted the onion and peppers with a dash of salt so they would be cooked through when the sausages were done in the crockpot. In my crockpot, this took 3 hours to cook. To get the cheese nice and melty, I put the bun with the cheese in the toaster oven for a short time. Turned out perfect!"
"I'll ditto dianeharring.......easy and yummy! We will make this again!"
"I have made this twice now. It is great. I've made it in the crock pot and I've made it in a skillet. I also used Johnsonville smoked brats the second time I made it and it was every bit as good as the first time. This has become a family favorite. I will continue to make this again and again."
"Delicious, there were no leftovers!"
"easy and yummy!"