Italian Sausage Vegetable Soup
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 jar (26 ounces) pasta sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced carrots, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian flat beans, drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Grated Parmesan or shredded mozzarella cheese, optional
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, cook sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
Add broth, pasta sauce, carrots, beans, water, Italian seasoning and basil; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Drain macaroni; stir into soup. If desired, sprinkle servings with cheese.
Freeze option: Before adding cheese, cool soup. Freeze soup and, if desired, cheese separately in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Sprinkle with cheese.
1 cup (calculated without cheese): 335 calories, 23g fat (8g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 1037mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Oct 16, 2012
Excellent consistency and flavor, served with garlic bread and salad to make a perfect dinner for a cold night.