Italian Sausage Vegetable Soup
With spaghetti sauce, noodles and Italian seasonings, this soup tastes like spaghetti! It's so easy, even our preteen daughter can make it by herself.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 pounds Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 jar (26 ounces) pasta sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced carrots, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian flat beans, drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Grated Parmesan or shredded mozzarella cheese, optional
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, cook sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- Add broth, pasta sauce, carrots, beans, water, Italian seasoning and basil; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Drain macaroni; stir into soup. If desired, sprinkle servings with cheese. Freeze option: Before adding cheese, cool soup. Freeze soup and, if desired, cheese separately in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without cheese): 335 calories, 23g fat (8g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 1037mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Italian Sausage Vegetable Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.