VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 pounds Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 jar (26 ounces) pasta sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced carrots, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian flat beans, drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Grated Parmesan or shredded mozzarella cheese, optional
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, cook sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
Add broth, pasta sauce, carrots, beans, water, Italian seasoning and basil; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Drain macaroni; stir into soup. If desired, sprinkle servings with cheese.
Freeze option: Before adding cheese, cool soup. Freeze soup and, if desired, cheese separately in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Italian Sausage Vegetable Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p99
Reviews forItalian Sausage Vegetable Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review