Italian Sausage Sandwiches Recipe
- 20 Italian sausages
- 4 large green peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 20 sandwich buns
- Shredded mozzarella cheese, optional
- 1. In a large Dutch oven, brown sausages a few at a time; discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute peppers and onion in drippings until crisp-tender; drain.
- 2. In the same pan, combine the tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, sugar, garlic, basil, oregano and salt. Add the sausages; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve on buns. Top with cheese if desired. Yield: 20 servings.
1 each: 430 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 1107mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 20g protein.
Reviews for Italian Sausage Sandwiches
"Fast and easy! Just the right amount of seasonings! My favorite recipe!"
"It is a very good meal. it is a little tomatoey if your not big on tomatoes. i have made it several times."