- 1 package (16 ounces) rigatoni
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 5 cups marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1 pound sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook rigatoni according to package directions; drain.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, mushrooms and pepper over medium-high heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Stir in marinara sauce, Parmesan cheese and cream. Add rigatoni and toss to coat.
In each of two greased 8-in. square baking dishes, layer one-fourth of the rigatoni mixture and one-fourth of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, 25-35 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. (Cover loosely with foil if tops brown too quickly.)
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casseroles; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake casseroles as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
Reviews forItalian Sausage Rigatoni Bake
"This was excellent and the leftovers the next day were just as tasty! I ended up using shredded mozzarella since I had it on hand and it was delicious."
"This was sooo good. Didn't change anything. Will make this again."