Italian Sausage & Quinoa Stew
I like how the sweetness of the orange and yellow peppers blend with the spiciness of the Italian sausage. If you have trouble finding quinoa, substitute rice or tiny pasta in this recipe. —Marietta Slater, Justin, Texas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 5 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each), casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 each medium green, sweet orange and sweet yellow peppers, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14-1/2 ounces) can beef broth
- Minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat 5-7 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into large crumbles; drain.
- Transfer sausage and onion to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in beans, corn, peppers, quinoa, zucchini, garlic, seasonings, tomatoes, and broth. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables and quinoa are tender, 5-6 hours. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 363 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 1188mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 8g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Johnsonville Italian Sausage and Quinoa Stew in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.