- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash garlic powder
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Fill with dried beans, uncooked rice or pie weights.
- Bake 8 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 375°.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage, onion, green pepper and jalapeno over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Spoon into shell and sprinkle with cheese.
In a large bowl, whisk remaining ingredients; pour over cheese. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked quiche. To use, remove from freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Preheat oven to 375°. Place quiche on a baking sheet; cover edge loosely with foil. Bake as directed, increasing time as necessary for a knife inserted in the center to come out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forItalian Sausage Quiche
"Made this for Christmas Eve brunch (exactly as written) and it came out great! It was a big hit and I will be making this one again. You could cut down on sausage if you wanted as it really fills the crust. I used the jalapenos and they added a nice flavor but not a great deal of heat."
"I agree with another reader-this is a great base recipe. Lots of different vegetables, meats, cheeses can be used. I also heeded the advice of less sausage. I cut back to 3/4 lb. of Jimmy Dean sausage. Also trying to stay away from refined flour, I made the crust with sweet potato slices which were leftover from dinner last night. When I have made this with shallots they give a lovely flavor. I also went with 1/2 cream and 1/2 half and half. All decisions were based on what I had and no desire to run to the store. :) My son promptly ate the leftovers for lunch and again for dinner."
"Very good and I'll definitely make this again. I used an 8.5"/1qt. pie dish. I used finely chopped cooked nonbreakfast sausage links (Johnsonville), just enough to cover the bottom of this dish, about 1c. I left out the green pepper,?jalape?o, and parsley. I used dried chives in place of raw white onion. I used 1/8t. dried basil in place of a lot of fresh basil. I didn't use a crust. Mine is a little overbaked at 37 minutes. I think it was finished at 28 minutes."
"Fantastic even without the jalapeno pepper, which I didn't have on hand."
"I loved the flavor of this quiche. I didn't put any of the hot stuff into it and it was still a tad spicy for us, probably the Italian sausage we used. I added a teaspoon of minced garlic in the meat and veggie while sautéing them. Next time I'm going to use half the sausage, throw a couple more eggs into it and mix the cheese into the meat mixture cause I prefer it be somewhat blended into the dish instead of sitting on top of it. But all in all it is yummy even if I kept things the way the recipe reads, I just need to adjust for our tastes."
"I'd made this recipe once before and thankfully I found it again. I used two 9" pie crust that worked well. Since I have a small child I left out the jalapeno and green peppers, yet it was still out of this world yummy! I'll be making it more often, no doubt."
"Delicious and easy. Did not use a pie crust, made it w/out b/c I don't want the flour base. Used mild Italian sausage and made the rest as is. Four tsp of jalapeno is not too much! With a little fresh sour cream on the side, this is a very, very tasty quiche. Served it w/ TOH's Honey Fruit salad and Strawberry Cooler. All recipes are KEEPERS!"
"I used this as a base for the quiche I made...just switched a few ingredients & it was so yummy!"
"It was delicious."