Italian-Sausage Pepper Sandwiches Recipe
- 2 uncooked Italian sausage links
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste, optional
- 2 French or submarine rolls, split and toasted
- 1. In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until browned. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Cut into 1/2-in. slices. Return to pan and cook until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- 2. In same skillet, saute the onion, green pepper, red pepper and garlic in oil until crisp-tender. Add the sausage, tomato, oregano and salt and pepper if desired. Cook until tomatoes are heated through. Spoon sausage mixture into rolls. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 291 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 466mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Italian-Sausage Pepper Sandwiches
"I made it for my husband & he liked it a lot. I always use this recipe every time he wants Sausage & pepper sandwich"
"I made this from Taste of Home's Guilt Free Cooking cookbook, and it was a big hit with my family! Red peppers are a little expensive right now, so I only used green peppers. I also substituted turkey Italian sausage. The recipe was quick and easy to prepare, and yummier than I expected. I'll definitely be making this one again."