- 1/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced zucchini
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons uncooked orzo or small shell pasta
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook the sausage, mushrooms, zucchini, onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the broth, tomatoes, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in pasta. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until pasta is tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forItalian Sausage Orzo Soup
"I'm not a big fan of Italian sausage so I used this recipe with another one in this collection. I saut?ed onions, garlic, sliced mushrooms in Olive Oil 1 T. butter until tender, added sliced smoked sausage until almost done, added a few handfuls of baby spinach leaves until wilted, two 14.5oz cans petite tomatoes & two 14.5oz cans low sodium/low fat chicken broth, Italian Seasoning, Basil & Parsley. I added double the Orzo, stirred it in, reduced to simmer with lid for 15 minutes. It was absolutely delicious. My husband loves the sausage & I love everything else. It made enough for dinner & lunch the next day. The original recipe made 2 servings so that's why increased ingredients."
"I made this soup several weeks ago and I loved it!! I used Italian sausage links cut up instead of bulk. I added celery and one small can of tomato sauce. I skipped the zucchini and used canned mushrooms. I also used one can of chicken broth instead of a 1 1/4 cups and 1 can of diced tomatoes instead of 1 cup. I also used about 4-5 tablespoons of orzo instead of 3. The soup has a great taste and is really easy to make. I'm making it again tonight!!"