Italian Sausage N Peppers Supper
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links
- 1/2 cup each julienned sweet red, yellow and green pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- Cook pasta according to package directions. In a large nonstick skillet, brown sausage over medium heat; drain. Cut sausage into 1/4-in. slices. In the same skillet, saute the peppers, basil, garlic, oregano, thyme, caraway seeds and sliced sausage in oil until peppers are crisp-tender. Stir in tomatoes. Cook and stir until heated through. Drain pasta; add to skillet and mix well.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 327 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 845mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Mar 16, 2015
I omitted the canned tomatoes and replaced with a jar of spaghetti sauce. I also added 1 t crushed red pepper. Delicious!
Aug 15, 2014
I love this dinner. It's cheap, fast, and delicious. I only use half the sausage which is enough for our family of 5. Then, I use the leftover sausage to make Zuppa di Fagioli (search for it on here) or add to sauce for spaghetti.
Oct 23, 2013
full of flavor and color, easily put together for a fast weeknight meal!
Mar 24, 2012
This recipe is one I make for my husband. ( I do not care for sausage or peppers or tomatoes.) He requests this recipe so it is one of my keepers!