Italian Sausage Mushrooms
These savory bites from Lorie Zufall of Waynesboro, Pennsylvania can be made with only a handful of items. "Whether you serve them as an elegant appetizer or as a side dish, they're sure to steal the show," she promises.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 24 medium fresh mushrooms
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove and discard mushroom stems. Place caps on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes; drain.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, 3 tablespoons parsley and sausage until well blended. Spoon into mushroom caps.
- Cover and microwave at 70% power for 5-7 minutes or until heated through; drain. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 145 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 301mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Italian Sausage Mushrooms in Quick Cooking May/June 2004