- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Drain macaroni.
- In a large bowl, combine the macaroni, sausage mixture, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic, oregano, salt, basil and pepper. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forItalian Sausage Macaroni Bake
"This is the long draft of a casserole that I've been making for over 40 years. I used a jar of spaghetti sauce instead of the green peppers, onions and tomato sauce and seasonings. I did use the Parmesan cheese as suggested here, but found it too salty for us. Nix the Parmesan next time."
"We used 1 roll RB Rice Italian sausage, substituted small penne for the macaroni, and added a large tomato (chopped). Made as such, the recipe yielded an uncomplicated flavor with great presentation. The crew gave it a "thumbs up" before it even hit the oven."