Italian Sausage Kale Soup Recipe
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cups chopped fresh kale
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock
- 3-1/4 cups chicken stock (26 ounces)
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook sausage and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- 2. Add kale to pot; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add garlic and, if desired, pepper flakes; cook 1 minute. Add wine; cook 2 minutes longer.
- 3. Stir in sausage mixture and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until kale is tender. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup: 217 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 868mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein.
Reviews for Italian Sausage Kale Soup
"This was pretty good. I'm trying to eat more Kale and this was a good way to eat it."
"Made this and loved it! I tweaked it a little to suit my family's preferences. I used canned tomatoes with Italian seasonings, eliminated the sun dried tomatoes & white beans, and added half a box of ditalini pasta and about 2 cups chopped carrots. I also doubled the amount of broth. Really tasty!"
"This soup was Deeelicious! Even my picky eater rated it "excellent"! I did use only one lb. of regular Italian sausage as suggested by other reviewers; otherwise, followed the recipe exactly. It was full of flavor! Can't wait to make it again!"
"Wow - great light soup. I used mild Italian cooked chicken sausage sliced, onion & garlic powder. Added fresh & dried basil & oregano, also. Grated Parmesan cheese tops it off deliciously! Hubby was hoping for potatoes when I had substituted cooked quinoa. I substituted a fresh tomato immersion blended with chicken broth for the diced. Increased the chicken broth, too."
"This was a waste of ingredients and time. The soup was nearly inedible and the remainder is being dumped. It was tasteless even after I added fresh oregano and smoked paprika. I don't know how anyone could rate this 5 stars.SJS9"
"This is a very good soup, and so healthy. After reading reviews, I took advice and doubled the broth and cut sausage to 1 lb. Since this is supposed to be Italian, I added a 1/4 cup each of chopped fresh basil and oregano. This is very delicious. I used a combination of hot and mild sausage. It liked it but it was too hot for my wife. So next time, just mild sausage and no pepper flakes. I can always add them to my servings."
"I love warm and thick soups and this was wonderful. I made a vegetarian version by adding turnips and parsnips instead of the sausage and it was just perfect. Delicious and hearty for a belly warmer as the leaves outside are falling. I never really used kale in soup before, so am glad I found this recipe."