- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cups chopped fresh kale
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock
- 3-1/4 cups chicken stock (26 ounces)
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook sausage and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add kale to pot; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add garlic and, if desired, pepper flakes; cook 1 minute. Add wine; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in sausage mixture and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until kale is tender. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Italian Sausage Kale Soup
"This was pretty good. I'm trying to eat more Kale and this was a good way to eat it."
"Made this and loved it! I tweaked it a little to suit my family's preferences. I used canned tomatoes with Italian seasonings, eliminated the sun dried tomatoes & white beans, and added half a box of ditalini pasta and about 2 cups chopped carrots. I also doubled the amount of broth. Really tasty!"
"This soup was Deeelicious! Even my picky eater rated it "excellent"! I did use only one lb. of regular Italian sausage as suggested by other reviewers; otherwise, followed the recipe exactly. It was full of flavor! Can't wait to make it again!"
"Wow - great light soup. I used mild Italian cooked chicken sausage sliced, onion & garlic powder. Added fresh & dried basil & oregano, also. Grated Parmesan cheese tops it off deliciously! Hubby was hoping for potatoes when I had substituted cooked quinoa. I substituted a fresh tomato immersion blended with chicken broth for the diced. Increased the chicken broth, too."
"This was a waste of ingredients and time. The soup was nearly inedible and the remainder is being dumped. It was tasteless even after I added fresh oregano and smoked paprika. I don't know how anyone could rate this 5 stars.SJS9"
"This is a very good soup, and so healthy. After reading reviews, I took advice and doubled the broth and cut sausage to 1 lb. Since this is supposed to be Italian, I added a 1/4 cup each of chopped fresh basil and oregano. This is very delicious. I used a combination of hot and mild sausage. It liked it but it was too hot for my wife. So next time, just mild sausage and no pepper flakes. I can always add them to my servings."
"I love warm and thick soups and this was wonderful. I made a vegetarian version by adding turnips and parsnips instead of the sausage and it was just perfect. Delicious and hearty for a belly warmer as the leaves outside are falling. I never really used kale in soup before, so am glad I found this recipe."
"Hearty soup, easy to prepare."