Italian Sausage & Egg Croissants
Wake up your taste buds with eye-opening breakfast sandwiches featuring spicy sausage, fluffy egg, tomato and creamy avocado piled high on a flaky croissant.—Emory Doty, Jasper, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 8 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 8 croissants, split
- 8 slices tomato
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the cheese, jalapeno and herbs. Crumble sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook patties for 4-5 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Set aside and keep warm.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. In another large nonstick skillet, melt half of the butter over medium-high heat. Add half of the egg mixture to the skillet (mixture should set immediately at edges).
- As eggs set, push cooked edges toward the center, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. Cover and cook 1-2 minutes longer or until top is set. Slide eggs onto a plate; cut into four wedges. Repeat with remaining butter and egg mixture.
- Spread mayonnaise over croissants; layer with sausage patties, eggs, tomato and avocado. Replace tops.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 741 calories, 58g fat (22g saturated fat), 322mg cholesterol, 1293mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Italian Sausage-Blue Cheese & Scrambled Egg Croissant in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.